Blog 2
What I have learned about academic language so far is that it is really important to students learning development. Academic language is important when it comes to reading comprehension. Students learn new words, phrases and have a chance to participate in group discussions through academic language. As students progress through school they learn new complex words and are expected to talk in front of a class. It all leads up to success in life as adults we are expected to be able to carry on a conversation or speak in front of others. To me, academic language is the umbrella for ELA in schools. Students need to be able to know how to read, write and pronounce words correctly in order to be successful in school. At this time I do not have any questions about academic language. A resource I found is strategies for teaching academic language.
8-strategies-teaching-academic-language-todd-finley
8-strategies-teaching-academic-language-todd-finley
I agree! Academic language is critical to student learning, and the skills you listed are those that are so foundationally important as children grow and build new understandings and abilities. Without foundational knowledge, these students will have nothing to build upon, and therefore will experience academic difficulties later in life. One of my beliefs as an Early Childhood educator is that we should be encouraging even very young children to grow into productive members of society. Thank you for sharing the resource you found!
ReplyDeleteI agree that academic language is important for the students development. This allows the students to fully understand the content being taught. They also gather and learn how to explain and have conversations on the content they are learning. Students should be able to discuss topics with others using proper language and understanding. I totally agree that it is the umbrella for ELA. Good post.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth, this was a very good blog. You did a great job of explaining exactly what you needed to and not making it super long! I like that you related academic language to the future. It is important to learn the language now and keep in mind how much it will be used in the future. Thank you for sharing the resource!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth this is a great post. I agree that academic language plays a big role in the students learning. I like how you said that academic language is the umbrella of ELA. I like the resource that you shared, and again great explanation.
ReplyDelete