Engaging instruction
As I think about teaching in my classroom there are several techniques to engage students. One technique I plan to use is collaborative learning. In my observations, I have seen many teachers have student work in groups. I love group work, I feel the students are more productive and help the students learn how to communicate. A lesson needs to be fun and have a meaning in order for the students to be engaged. The students have to have an interest in what is being taught and to be honest not all subjects are interesting to all students. It is the teacher's job to make it interesting and fun for the students. The activities need to be learning appropriate for the specific grade level. When I was in school, I never was engaged in the lesson. Most of the time we learned from a textbook. My kindergarten teachers would play songs and games. I do recall having projects as I got older but most of the time they were at home projects. I want my students to be engaged by making the lesson meaningful, and provide my students with the best education. I found this website about five ways to engage students in learning. https://www.teachthought.com/pedagogy/5-easy-ways-engage-students-learning/
This website mentions five ways to engage students in a lesson. The five ways are “make it a game, add music, make it visual, learn a different way from reviewing, and use icebreakers.” From my observations using any type of games in a classroom is a great way to engage the students. A new one that I found is interesting is to learn one way and review a different way. Using visuals is a great tool in the classroom, with the diversity in schools teachers, need to be able to meet all student’s needs. Adding music is a fun way to get the kids up out of their seats and moving. Creating a song helps create a meaningful lesson and students are more likely to remember the information. Planning activities for the students will not only increase learning but it provides several opportunities for the students.
You did a great job on this post! I love the wordle that you used with it. I agree that collaborative learning and group work can be very beneficial. I think that is a great way to get students evolved, I stated that making the lesson meaningful to the students will also help get them engaged. So, I think that if we would add these two together then you would be set to go. I think that they would flow nicely together. The game suggestion I think was a good one and I think that more teachers should do game type things than they do. In some classes I have observed I have seen games played and the students love it and enjoy learning while doing it. Again great blog!
ReplyDeleteGreat job, Elizabeth! I had to agree that putting students in groups is beneficial in many ways. It helps them learn from each other, enhance their communication skills, and teaches them to work as a team. Also, your wording of making a lesson meaningful is just spot on. As teachers, we should all strive to make meaning and engaging lessons.
ReplyDeleteCollaborative learning is a wonderful way to get students engaged and make learning fun and meaningful! You are correct in saying that some students have less interest in certain areas than others, however, we must remind our students that even though they may not be interested in it now, we are giving them the building blocks for life, as they pursue their goals. Even astronauts had to learn their ABC's, so encouraging students to always put forth their best efforts will serve them greatly. Students will enjoy using games and other interactive experiences to learn, as they may not even realize they are learning at all.
ReplyDelete